MASTERING MONDAY: A PRODUCTIVE WINTER BREAK
This blog article lists the best books of Fall/Winter 2016. If you are anything like me, deciding which book to read over winter break is the hardest thing in the world. I find myself walking into Barnes and Noble with the intent of “grabbing whatever looks good,” googling book reviews for 30 minutes before I check out, and then leaving the store empty-handed because I cannot, for the life of me, make a decision. This list includes a few surprises, a few “givens” and some randoms. There is something for everyone, so start reading!
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdLruPzh80
This video is by YouTuber, Danielle Carolan. I love her videos because she is super cute and sweet and she has so much fun doing it. This video is called, “5 Ways to Stay Fit During the Holidays.” I loved this video so much because these activities are so out of the ordinary and not basic, typical things you would see in an average “fit” video. They’re simple, fun things that you have a way better chance of doing than waking up early, going to the gym, running, etc. Some of these activities even get your family involved, which is what the holidays are all about!
- Clean out your closet. Whether metaphorically or literally, winter break is a perfect time to get organized. Tie up loose ends with old frenemies, donate old clothing to the thrift store, burn or recycle old school papers, depending on how hard the class was (burn the calculus notes), etc.
- Build your resume. Especially if you are graduating, your resume is your greatest weapon. Look for a winter job, volunteer somewhere, literally fix your resume, make or improve your LinkedIn, etc.
- Make your New Year’s resolutions. The worst resolutions are thought of on New Year’s Day when people realize they didn’t think of a resolution. To avoid this, really invest some time in coming up with your resolutions so that they mean more to you come New Year’s Day.
- Get ahead on work. Order textbooks early, read them, look up syllabi, check out Rate My Professor, write down potential research ideas, watch YouTube videos of class lectures, etc. You will thank yourself in February.
- Get appointments out of the way. Since WInter Break is pretty long and most of us are home doing nothing, it is a perfect time to make an appointment with your friends neighborhood dentist and/or gynecologist. There is no reason to keep ignoring the fact that you have to go. As the great Shia LaBeouf once said, ”JUST DO IT.”
- Watch the shows you have always wanted to watch. This might not sound productive, but you’ll understand what I mean when you have a 15 pager due in March and you just can’t think of any shows to distract yourself with.