SPECIAL ST. PATRICK’S DAY (WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON’T DRINK)
St. Patrick’s Day: a holiday deeply rooted in Ireland, yet widely celebrated in the United States. Known for as a drinking holiday, the carefree, safe fun of it all can sometimes be lost. For those people not looking to drink on the day of green, it can sometimes feel like you’re being left out. But there are plenty of entertaining things to do no matter what you’re into. Here is just a short list of things you can do when you decide to spend your day/night without alcohol.
- Watch fun St. Patrick’s Day movies. Brave and Luck of the Irish are just two movies (both happen to be made by Disney) that can make any St. Patrick’s Day into a full blown movie night. Pick up some sugar cookies, or put green dye in your favorite recipe to make your movie night a full blown party. Even if you can’t seem to find these delectably Celtic films, Netflix offers some great Irish options. Movies like The Last Leprechaun or Morgan Murphy’s stand-up special are great additions. Another option is to watch the critic darling Brooklyn.
- Or… watch a scary one. Leprechaun is one of the best cult classics out there and it just happens to be about St. Patrick’s Day. Check it out or look into watching one of its numerous and equally ridiculous sequels. These films are great to laugh at, and who knows you might just jump as well.
- Make corn beef and cabbage with your friends. This St. Patrick’s Day staple can be a great unifier amongst friends. Gather people around and have them participate in making a meal that is more complex than the typical college dinner. Hang up some decorations, make some green crafts and really get into the spirit of the holiday. In fact, add some Celtic music in the background and you’ll feel like the real deal.
- Have a St. Patrick’s Day game night. Hot Potato is actually a hilarious game to play. Get a timer and use that if you don’t have access to an actual version. Or, as always play whatever games you like most. Play a great game of Cards Against Humanity (which has a leprechaun card) or Apples To Apples and show friends just how hilarious you are.
- Pick up some work shifts. Shout out to all of the student employees out there. If you’re looking for something to do on a day when no one wants to work, but you don’t want to go out, take advantage of dropped shifts and pick up some extra money. This is a great opportunity to win some coworkers over should you ever need them, while also getting the biggest bang for your luck ;).
- Attend a SUNY Oswego event. The college has some great events to offer students. Bring your friends together and stop on by for one final hurrah before Spring Break makes you say farewell to Oswego for a week.
- Come to Penfield Library at 1:30 p.m. to make crafts at Makerspace. This free event offers students a chance to make some great St. Patricks Day crafts. Come on over and collect some goodies to bring home and stare at all night.
- Come to Lifestyles Center’s Green and Gold Buffet. While Lifestyles Center may not be having Open Mic, we’re still here for all of you. With more details to come, feel free to stop on over to the Center (in the back of Mary Walker) and enjoy some great food and friends. It’s going to be a great event brimming with stomach-filled goodness.
Written by Riley Ackley, Peer Mentor
Photo Cred: Shamrocks