THIRD PARTIES IN THE 2016 ELECTION
Third parties are political groups that reside from the two primarily involved parties (democrats and republicans) within the 2016 presidential election. There are three third party candidates that I am going to touch upon because they appear on more than 20+ state ballots.These three third parties are: The libertarian party, green party, and the constitution party.
Name: Libertarian party
Ballot: In all 50 states + DC
Presidential Nominee: Former Governor Gary Johnson (New Mexico)
The libertarian party promotes civil liberties, non-interventionism, self-ownership, and laissez-faire capitalism.
Abortion: Supports pro-choice.
Death penalty: No stand. Believes in rehabilitative justice that focuses on the victim rather than the aggressor.
Civilian gun control: Does not support. The government does not have the right to control guns.
Foreign policy: Supports a non-interventionist policy and ending all foreign aid.
Healthcare: Does not support universal government health care. Healthcare should be separate from the state and deregulated.
Immigration: Supports open borders.
Environment: Does not support governmental involvement.
Education: Supports private schools with tax credit for tuition.
Economy: Supports a laissez-faire government.
Progressive taxation: Does not support government imposed taxes.
Name: Green Party
Ballot: In 40+ states including DC
Presidential Nominee: Dr. Jill Stein (Massachusetts)
The green party focuses on principles of green politics, such as social justice, environmentalism, social democracy, and respect for peace, diversity, and nonviolence.
- Abortion: Supports.
- Death penalty: Does not support.
- Civilian gun control: Supports more regulations and background checks.
- Foreign policy: Supports sustainable development, human rights, economic justice worldwide. Carries a non-interventionist policy.
- Healthcare: Supports universal health care and preventive care for everyone.
- Immigration: Supports the right for all U.S. residents to have social justice and the right to grant legal status.
- Environment: Supports tax policy and market incentives that improve sustainability.
- Education: Supports equal access to education and an increase in financial aid for college students.
- Economy: Supports decentralization, reduction of power for large corporations, and human and ecological needs alongside profits.
- Progressive taxation: Supports. Encourages the elimination of “loopholes” for the rich.
Name: Constitution Party
Ballot: In 22 states
Presidential Nominee: Darrell Castle (Tennessee)
The constitution party is a conservative Christian political party that focuses on the interpretation and understanding of principles set forth in the constitution and the bible.They believe in a reduced government, nonintervention of other nations, and conservative libertarianism.
- Abortion: Does not support in any given situation.
- Death penalty: Supports the right to execute criminals.
- Civilian gun control: Does not support. Citizens should have no restrictions on gun control and should be able to uphold the right to bear arms.
- Foreign policy: Does not support intervention with other countries, foreign aid, or international financial institutions.
- Healthcare: Does not support the regulation of medicine and the FDA.
- Immigration: Does not support and seeks more restrictions toward immigration.
- Environment: Does not support federal environmental protections and rejects global warming.
- Education: Supports the right for parents to provide education for their children.
- Economy: Supports a return to the monetary system.
- Progressive taxation: Does not support.
Written by Megan Tuohey, Peer Educator