TUESDAY RECIPE: GROWN-UP GRILLED CHEESE
Do you ever just want a grilled cheese sandwich? Every day? Me too. But, let’s face it, we’re adults now. We should be eating sophisticated sandwiches. So, here is a more cultured take on a classic:
You will need:
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp white cheddar cheese (such as Cracker Barrel)
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
(Most of this can be obtained from the dining hall!)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tomato slices, 2 tablespoons onion mixture. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese; top with the remaining bread slices.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.
Elana Ginsburg, Lifestyles Center Intern
Riley Ackley, Peer Educator