TUESDAY RECIPE: COPYCAT CHIPOTLE BURRITO BOWLS
This year, Chipotle has been under fire for E. coli outbreaks in numerous locations. If you want to avoid the possibility of food poisoning and cut your calories in half, you can stay home and make your own chicken burrito bowl! Buying your own ingredients and making it at home will save you a little bit of money as well. In my opinion, these taste better too!
(Key: DH – Dining Hall)
2 Cups Cooked Rice (White Or Brown)
2 Tbsp. Salt (DH)
2 Tbsp. Butter, Unsalted (DH)
Juice of 1/2 Lime (DH)
2/3 Cup Cilantro
4 Chicken Breasts, Boneless Skinless
3 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
Juice Of 1/2 Lime
Produce (Burrito Salad):
1/2 Cup Bell Peppers (DH)
1/2 Cup Black Beans, Canned
1/2 Red Onions (DH)
1 Cup Romaine Or Iceberg Lettuce (DH)
1/2 Cup Sweet Corn, Kernels
1/2 Cup Tomatoes (DH)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook rice according to package instructions; adding the butter and salt into the water. Without lifting the lid, set cooked rice aside.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the chicken: In a bowl, combine the chicken with oil, lime, and taco seasoning. Marinate in a large Ziploc bag for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop all the Burrito Salad ingredients and toss them together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from bag, discarding remaining marinade. Place chicken in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Toss and fluff rice with a fork. Add the lime juice and cilantro and toss to combine. Spoon rice into individual bowls. Top with Burrito Salad mixture. Add sliced grilled chicken and garnish as desired (sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, guacamole, queso, etc). Serve warm or at room temp.
Adapted from: http://www.chewoutloud.com/2015/08/11/chipotle-chicken-burrito-bowls/
Researched by Sarah Pasquarelli
Photo Cred: Chipotle bowl